Friday, July 1, 2016

What I'm reading and more, July 1, 2016 edition.

Well, this is interesting!  My first blog post!  Let's start with something simple.  What am I reading?

Books I'm currently reading: The Light Between Oceans and Persuasion (again). 


Books I'm claiming to be currently reading according to my GoodReads account: At Home (Bill Bryson), Pioneer Girl (LIW), Sorry!, Interrupted, Jane Austen's England, and And Toto, Too. 



Books on my nightstand (which are physically located in my living room, as my nightstand holds my CPAP): A Spool of Blue Thread, You Are What You Love, Blue Like Jazz, Let Justice Roll Down, The Better Angels of our Nature, The Other Wes Moore, Carry On, Warrior, Traveling Mercies, and Friday Night Lights. 



Books that have been here so long (unread) that they are now part of the decor:  Lady Bird Johnson, Fearless, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Long Way Down, The Kitchen House.  Note that a few of these are the ones I'm claiming to be "Currently Reading" according to my GoodReads account.  

Books holding a lamp.  
Books holding a vase.


And 8 more that are in a book a friend sent me...the box is now part of my decor.  Classy!  
Books holding a box open. 


Anne Elliott would, "venture(d) to recommend a larger allowance of prose in...daily study," I know!

What are you reading?  How big is your nightstand stack?  And did you notice that I haven't even mentioned what's on my Kindle?  Eek!!  A post for tomorrow....


6 comments:

  1. On my nightstand: a sketch book and "642 Things to Write About". The book I have to write myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have piles, too, all over the house. We keep saying we need a bigger house for our books!

    I just finished Excellent Women by Barbara Pym. She reminds me of a 20th century Austen. I don't say that lightly, as Austen is my favorite author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! Just added Excellent Women to my Goodreads list. Sounds like something I'd love!

      Delete
  3. Even though I already know that you are reading The Light Between Oceans, I squealed. So happy that you are reading it! (As I have told you already, it is my favorite book.)

    It looks like you already have a lot of books to read, but have you ever considered reading some Julia Alvarez? I haven't read any of her poetry, but I have read (and own) How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, In the Time of the Butterflies, and Something to Declare. All great books, by the way.

    I am excited to see your blog grow, especially as a growing book blogger myself.

    Gosh: who writes comments this long? I suppose I should stop now.

    Happy reading,
    Julia at Reading is Inevitable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any Alvarez! Thanks for the recommendations - I've added all three to my TBR list! And thanks for commenting!

      Delete