Monday, July 4, 2016

My favorite author


Several years ago, a friend mentioned that she liked to have the 1995 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice running on the TV while she was ironing.  

Well, I'm not a big ironer (I mean, I own an iron, but that's about it), but the idea of having "comfort TV" on while doing something else was interesting to me.  My family wasn't big on TV and certainly didn't have the TV on as background entertainment.  I asked my friend more about it, and she said that she'd seen P&P so many times that she could drop in and out of the miniseries as time and ironing allowed.  

Instead of taking up ironing, I decided to take up Pride and Prejudice.  I'd never read the book, never seen the miniseries or movie.  I was already in my mid-30s.  That's a little bit embarrassing, I know!  I'd considered myself fairly well-read but had a gaping hole where Austen was concerned.  

I started with the 1995 BBC version and then did a deep dive into all things Austen!  I started by reading Pride a couple of times, absorbing more and more each time.  Bought an annotated version so that I could really understand the context.  Began to learn about the situation of women in that time, of landowners, of second sons.  I was enraptured!  

And then I moved on, first to Sense and Sensibility, then Emma, and Persuasion.  Next, Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park.  Bought and read the annotated versions of each.  Watched movies based on the books.  Read fan fiction and related novels.  Watched YouTube series.  Joined the Jane Austen Society of North America.  I can't get enough!!

Some of my annotated copies.


Today, my favorite Austen is Persuasion.  Tomorrow, P&P may regain my top spot.  S&S is always a close 3rd.  Recently, I've seen Love and Friendship and want to soak up Lady Susan - but I'm too busy rereading Persuasion!  

And did I mention that Jane and I share a birthday?  

Have you done a "deep dive" into a series?  One that has been around for over a hundred years?  What is it that brings you back for more?  I'll write about Harry Potter later, another series that I dove deep into.  

    
SaveSave
SaveSave

4 comments:

  1. Persuasion is my favorite too! (I commented on your Instagram, too. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now I'm going to have to read Persuasion. I wasn't familiar with it until your first post. And no...I want to dive into SOMETHING...haven't figured out what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Read Persuasion! What's the last thing you read?

      Delete